~ * ~

Friday, May 05, 2006

Surrogate Sin

The purgatory of potential
brings me to passion's altar:
prostrate acolyte.

Bless me, lover, for I would sin.

Take this, and eat of me.
The body of lust. Amen.

Though neither my hope
nor my prayer,
I lead myself into temptation.

Annoint me, lover, for I must sin.

Take this, and drink of me.
The blood of trust. Amen.

Though neither my promise
nor my pain,
he delivers only rapture.

Crucify me, lover, for I shall sin.

For thine is the kingdom
and the power
and the cock.

Hari-kari, full of disgrace
hallowed be our game
though I covet another
who art my heaven.

Before him I may kneel
in systolic communion,
but I shalt not fall
for my surrogate savior.

~ ~ ~

5~~
08/20/05 by LeBroz in NY - too far from Atlanta

Oh, what an Imp! You speak so sweetly; I want to sin! Reminds me of an old story, the question being, "What is necessary to obtain forgiveness from sin?" as the 6 year-old answers, "Sin."

5~ ~ ~
08/20/05 by Jennifer C

Your Poem was mentioned in Saturdays Review Thanks for sharing ~ ~ Jenn

5~
08/20/05 by sophia jane

That's a helluva prayer Imp. Well done

5oh my
08/21/05 by Anonymous

Wicked girl !!

5Vivid
08/23/05 by logophile

And sharp. Your words cut through some heavy lines here and make everything oh-so-real. Nicely done.

5leave it to the Imp...
08/23/05 by Belegon in Southern California

...to provide me with a new definition for "religious experience" *grin* Daring and delicious Imp.

5well, bless me!
08/23/05 by OhMissScarlett in a blue state

I know you're not supposed to covet your neighbor's poem, but I really wish I'd written that one. What great rhythm. Thanks.

5Let's hear a big Amen!
08/28/05 by Bill Dada in state of rapture

I am ready to drop to my knees in prayer. Finally a religion for the rest of us.

No comments: